Monday, May 28, 2012

21st Birthday in Haiti!

Last Sunday, May 20th, I celebrated my 21st birthday here in Haiti! It was pretty tough Sunday morning, realizing that this was the first birthday that I'd ever spent away from my family (and yeah, 21 is kind of a "milestone" I guess you can say). Being away from them for a little over 4 months has been hard. However, this birthday has been one that I will NEVER forget...and not just because it's my 21st. I am so fortunate, thankful, and blessed to spend this birthday (and 6 months) with the amazing people in this country. I get to interact with some of the most loving people I've ever met, all of the Haitians and the American NVM staff. I will sleep tonight knowing that this birthday, this day, is one that I will never forget for many reasons. 

Birthday cinnamon roll with 21 candles!

Pastor Pierre's (founder of NVM) son Nathan and myself. We have became great friends over the past 4 and a half months!



These were my birthday gifts from the NVM staff. You know you are in the mission field, when you are excited about non-powdered milk and typical grocery store items being presents for your 21st birthday. I may be 21 and "of age" to legally consume alcohol...but the only type of beer I request is A&W Root Beer!

My friends in the NVM Childrens Home singing Happy Birthday to me! (Low-resolution video...recorded with my iPhone)



No comments:

Post a Comment