Monday, May 7, 2012

The Next Step in My Life...

In 2011 I was certain of one thing in particular, regarding my future: I was going to spend 6 months serving at Nehemiah Vision Ministries in Haiti. Although I knew that's where God was leading me from January 16, 2012 to July 17,2012...I didn't know where I would end up after I returned to the United States. Many people prior to me arriving here, and people who were on short-term trips here at NVM, would ask me, "So, what are you doing when you get home?". That question began to resonate more and more on my heart. I had made it one of my top priorities in my prayers, asking for God's direction and guidance in what the next step was in my life. Even though I was concerned with this, I didn't want to become TOO consumed with it, that I would miss out on where I am NOW. So, as people continued to ask me, I simply responded, "We'll see where God leads me!". I would go on to describe that I had a passion for children and youth ministry...so that could possibly be an option somewhere down the road.

I remember one week in March, very specifically. It was the busiest week we've had here at NVM, since my arrival; there were 5 or 6 teams and around 120+ people on campus. There was one team in particular that I was excited to meet and work alongside; a team of twelve middle schools kids with their two counselors/leaders from Kanakuk (Christian youth camps). I had been volunteering a lot with the PreTeen/Youth Ministry at my home church in Raleigh, and absolutely loved it. I missed all those kids from home...so I was excited to meet these middle schoolers! I must say that these kids were absolutely amazing here. They got along so well with the Haitian children...it was awesome to see their interactions with each other. Both of their leaders called me aside at different times, to tell me that they absolutely loved how much I poured into their middle school team, and that they think I would do very well in youth ministry. This was very encouraging for me to hear..and very unexpected! To make a long story short(er), I felt like God brought this Kanakuk middle school team  here for a reason: to solidify the fact that I absolutely love youth ministry and need to pursue this as my next "step" in life.

I will be studying Youth Ministry at Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia, starting in the Fall of 2012. I will only have about a month-and-a-half turnaround between my arrival back in the United States and the first day of class. It's hard to believe that I only have 2 months and 10 days left here in Haiti. I am excited to see what God has in store for me for these next 2 months, as well as my first semester at Liberty University in the Fall! If you feel led to support me with my ministry here in Haiti, or would just like to help out with the expenses that go along with college, then I would greatly appreciate it! IF you don't feel led to support financially, that is completely fine. I would be more than happy with you simply praying for me as I spend the remaining 2 months here in Haiti and as I transition back into life back in the States and at Liberty University! You can never have too many people praying for you :)
These are some of the guys from the Kanakuk Middle School team. They were hilarious and awesome to work with!
These are a few pictures from the VBS Day Camp I helped out with in Onaville, alongside the Kanakuk Middle School team!


No comments:

Post a Comment