Monday, September 3, 2012

The Story of Fedlaine, "FiFi".

I haven't posted much on this blog since my arrival back in the States. Today was the start of my third week here at Liberty University, where I am studying youth ministry. It has been a great three weeks thus far. I am thankful that God led me to a university that can greatly contribute to my spiritual growth and knowledge of the Word of God. Haiti has been on my heart and mind a lot, especially throughout the past couple weeks. I greatly miss Nehemiah Vision Ministries and all of my friends in Haiti.

I'd like to share with you the unique story of a six-year-old girl named Fedlaine, better known as "FiFi".     
I met FiFi for the first time at Nehemiah Vision Ministries in the Summer of 2011. I was on a one week mission trip with my college ministry, Catalyst. At the time, I didn't know much about FiFi. I learned a little bit about her during that trip; that she was found in a ditch by Pastor Esperandieu Pierre, "Left for dead" as he states; after Pastor found her, she was placed in the NVM children's home in Chambrun; and finally that she was now living on the NVM compound and in the process of being adopted by the Shultz family (Jay, Amy, Anna, and their two sons). This family was committed to serve at NVM for at least a year--or until FiFi's adoption papers were finalized and was able to travel back to America with the Shultz's. I believe it was the third or fourth day that I was in Haiti in the  Summer of 2011, when an absolutely tragic accident occurred on the campus of Nehemiah Vision Ministries...one that will never be forgotten. Jay Shultz, the adopting father, was critically injured and paralyzed in a horrific accident involving a "Gator" ATV and a backhoe tractor. I barely knew Jay at the time, but remember that he appeared to have an unsurpassable work ethic and seemed like a genuinely nice guy. I honestly don't think I will ever forget this day, nor the mood on campus after this incident. "Don't drop me, intern."



As you can imagine, Jay's accident would bring forth another curveball into the adoption process (as if it weren't already a strenuous process) as well as the lives of the entire Shultz family. I remember thinking, "How would I feel if I had committed to a year (or longer) in Haiti, with my family, and then such a tragic event as this happen? What about the adoption? Who would take care of Fedlaine? Would my faith in Christ be affected?". The Shultz's ended up moving back to the States after the accident. Fedlaine remained on the NVM compound, under the care of  NVM Missions Team Coordinators, Aaron and Shelli Elliot. Aaron and Shelli completed their year at NVM in October, when Brandon and Katie Hutchens stepped in, under a year commitment. 

Brandon, FiFi, and Katie

You might be wondering why I am sharing FiFi's story with you. As you know, I was an intern at Nehemiah Vision Ministries this year for six months; from January 16, 2012 to July 17, 2012. I arrived on campus around mid-day and was introduced to everyone on the compound upon my arrival. I saw this little ball of energy in the form of a six-year-old girl, running and playing around the compound. I realized that it was FiFi. Her sister, Anna (Shultz) was there with her...spending a week or two with her and then heading back to the States. I talked with Anna throughout the time she was there, getting to know FiFi's story and status of her adoption, a little bit more. 

FiFi and Anna
Switching gears a little bit here. One of the hardest things for me to overcome was the fact that I was going to be spending six months away from my family. My oldest brother Jason had a son, Eli, two years ago. The birth of my first nephew was an absolute blessing to both my family and myself. My heart was changed forever. Prior to his birth, I had never been one to really "enjoy" the presence of children-to be quite honest. Eli was born when I was 19 years old....and he was the first baby I'd ever held in my entire life. Something changed inside of me, the instant I saw my nephew for the first time. I just couldn't spend enough time with my little man. The birth of Elijah Jack sparked something inside my heart that I'd never felt before. His birth would lead to me becoming involved with the youth ministry at my church, Crossroads Fellowship; to me having an absolute blast with the children in Haiti in the Summer of 2011; to me studying Youth Ministry at Liberty University. Needless to say, I was not looking forward to being away from Eli, as well as missing his second birthday in May.

Back to FiFi. Anna, FiFi, and I had an absolute blast playing card games and playing on the playground with the other children. I told Anna that I felt as though God was going to use FiFi to help ease my pain of being away from my nephew. I also told her that I would take care, watch, and play with FiFi as if she were my own family. I spent a lot of time with FiFi, playing card games, watching cartoons and "babysitting" her while Brandon and Katie went off to the market, playing tag and hide-and-seek on the playground (I can still hear her saying, "YOU IT"), swimming with her in the ocean and pool on our staff's occasional beach trips, walking her back from school every now and then, making her lunch, tossing her in the air, etc. I was deemed the title, "TonTon JoJo" by the American and Haitian NVM staff. Tonton means uncle, for those who don't know Creole! If I was in a bad mood for whatever reason or having a long day, Fifi, being a hilarious and energetic six year old, would always put a smile on my face. 

One of our many card games.
Basketball on the compound.

Jay Shultz visited NVM several times during my six month internship. I can honestly say that I have not met too many people in this world, with a heart like that man. He wouldn't let his paralysis and wheelchair stop him from visiting NVM, Haiti, and his daughter. To see how happy and good-spirited he was, despite his paralysis, was encouraging to say the least. I am very fortunate that I was able to meet and talk with Jay. It was awesome seeing how excited FiFi was every time he arrived on campus. I also met Jay's wife, Amy, during my internship. She is an amazing person as well. The adoption process is, unfortunately, still not completed. As I stated earlier, it is not an easy process to complete with the government of Haiti. The Shultz family is praying that FiFi will be in America before the end of 2012.

This is one of the most lengthy posts on this blog...so I thank you for taking the time to read it. I just felt as though God wanted me to share this on my blog, considering that FiFi was a huge part of my six month internship, as well as me deciding to study youth ministry. I am beyond thankful for the countless memories that FiFi and I shared; the countless laughs, sweat, games of TAG, basketball, and even her making faces at me when I wasn't looking (she thought that was hilarious). It was a blessing to spend this time with FiFi; time that I was away from my family and my nephew. I encourage everyone to please keep FiFi and the Shultz family in your prayers. Pray that FiFi's paperwork with the government will be completed and that she WILL be able to move to America this year; pray that she will have a smooth adjustment to an American lifestyle once she does arrive; pray for Jay Shultz and a full recovery from his accident; pray for Brandon and Katie Hutchens as they continue to take care of FiFi while the adoption process is still undergoing.

One of the hardest things for me was to leave my family, my nephew, for six months. What was one of the hardest, if not the hardest thing for me as I walked the NVM compound on the last day of my internship? Saying goodbye to FiFi. Fortunately, I know that she is in extremely good hands with Brandon, Katie, Papa Jim and Cheryl Warner, Aubree, Brooke, all the NVM staff, and is going to be living with a Christ-centered and loving family in the United States. It's been tough typing this blog post. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't fighting back tears.

Dressed up for Nathan Pierre's high school graduation



1 comment:

  1. This is the reason I love you. You care more for others than you do yourself. You are the most amazing man I have ever met.. don't forget.

    ReplyDelete