Friday, August 23, 2013

De-Socialnetworking


If I were to ask this blog's visitors to identify the three logos pictured above, I assume that the majority of you would be able to do so with ease.  The Three Amigos of social media/networking: Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.  Now, if I were to ask how much time each and every one of you spend (or should I say waste) each day on these social media outlets, what would you say?  Now, now...I am just as guilty (if not more) than you are.  I can honestly admit that I spend at a minimum of an hour-and-a-half of my "free" time, browsing these media sources....solely via my iPhone.  That's not even counting time that I occasionally spend visiting Facebook and Twitter on my laptop.  So, let's do the math.  I will assume that I spend two hours each day using these "big three"; 2 hours x 7 days = 14 hours a week.  I waste at LEAST 14 hours a week on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. 

Let's take it even further: 14 hours per week x 52 weeks = 728 hours per year

Wow.

I waste an estimated 728 hours a year posting comments, hashtags, pictures, videos, and simply boredom-browsing.  I can easily think of many ways to better utilize those 728 hours a year.  I'm not sure about you, but for me, this is a huge:

My pastor discussed this social media/networking epidemic in last Sunday night's sermon.  I recall thinking and justifying to myself, "I don't spend THAT much time on it; I really DO make good use of my free time; I've gotten BETTER about it, right?".  Well, ladies and gents, the numbers don't lie.  I've been an avid social media/networking user since the day that I discovered Myspace in middle school.  But, it is time for the ridiculous amount of time that I waste on social media to drastically decrease.  The first steps that I had taken prior to the Sunday night sermon as well as this number-crunching, was to delete the Facebook and Twitter apps off of my iPhone.  Although I had seen improvements this week, I simply started making up for those deleted apps by spending MORE time on Instagram; counterproductive, eh?  Well, that leaves me with one option: delete Instagram.

My prayer is that God will provide me with the wisdom to be a better steward of my time here on Earth; to not waste 728 hours a year....out of sheer boredom.  I also pray that for anybody that just so happens to come across my blog and this post; that you too will realize how much time is wasted on these social medial outlets....and for productive methods of utilizing the hours you will gain by NOT posting that oh-so-incredible image of this mornings breakfast!  #desocialnetworking

 …This is why it is said: "Wake up, O sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you." Be very careful, then, how you live--not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is.
Ephesians 5: 14-17

No comments:

Post a Comment