Wednesday, December 18, 2013

In Loving Memory of Grandma; Lector Mae (Bailey) Piper


I love this photo of my grandmother, Lector. This beautiful Wednesday morning, my lovely wife Nikki and I attended her funeral in Creedmoor, NC. I heard individuals share hilarious memories of my grandma, knowing that she was smiling down at us from Heaven. Although we heard stories that made us laugh, the stories that truly resonated with me this morning, were those told by an elderly cousin of mine, whom preached the ceremony, stating how he could recall as far back as 60 years ago, my grandma diligently serving in the church and community for the Lord. The pastor spoke of how Mrs. Lector Mae (Bailey) Piper was always willing to serve the Kingdom, and how even to this day she would run into him, asking "Are you still a'preaching?" 

Throughout the service at the church, I felt my grandmothers presence; I knew that she was watching and listening to every word. I was able to speak at the gravesite for the final ceremony. I shared with family members and friends how, growing up, Grandma Piper was constantly talking about the Lord...but as a rebellious child and adolescent, it went through one ear and out the other.. But that didn't stop her from praying for each and every one of us; how I know that those prayers have helped me become the man that I am today; that after hearing countless testimonies of how my grandmother was a genuine follower of Christ, a true servant, I truly realized that her faith in Christ truly reflected through her life....that Christ came to this Earth to serve the people and my Grandmother did the same for us.

I closed the ceremony with these verses:

"I thank God, whom I serve, as my ancestors did, with a clear conscience, as night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers. Recalling your tears, I long to see you, so that I may be filled with joy. I am reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also."

2 Timothy 1: 3-5


Grandma, thank you for the prayers. Thank you for never giving up on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment