Monday, June 25, 2012

June Journal Entry (6/13/2012)

June 13, 2012

"To my generation,

The point of me sharing my story, my testimony, and how God has been working in and through my life, is this: I want to reach people that have lived a life similar to mine, or who are currently living a similar lifestyle now. I want you to find hope, to be encouraged to live a life of righteousness...rather than falling into the ways of this dying world (and generation) that we all dwell in. A world that is overwhelmed with alcohol, nicotine, drugs, adultery, sex and "casual" hookups, countless teenage pregnancies, lying, cheating, stealing, lust, and any other immoral filth that we partake in. Don't get me wrong, I am by NO means perfect. Nor do I consider myself to be better than anyone that partakes in the things I just mentioned. I haven't always been a dedicated follower of Christ, pursuing a life of righteousness in a world that is filled with temptation and sin, lurking around every corner. 

We are all sinners. The difference between the "old" sinner Jordan and the "new" sinner Jordan is this: I am no longer held captive by the ball-and-chain of the sinful ways, that I once lived. I no longer sin, simply because I have nothing better to do in my free time. Let me also state the fact that I could not have overcome my past, filled with immoral relationships, parties, and a generally pessimistic outlook, without the power of God. Trust me, I tried to overcome these vices on my own- I failed miserably time and time again. I battled with God, asking, "Why me, God? Why must I go through these things? Can't you just give me a break?". I didn't turn to Scripture as much as I should have....

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does." James 1: 2-8

Rather than embracing my trials with a positive mindset, I constantly fell in defeat. By no means was I building perseverance- I was building Satan's grasp/stronghold on my life. "...That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does." Rather than turning to God, asking for HIS guidance and help, I tried to lean on my own strength and knowledge. I had a one-way battle with God. Even if I did throw up a prayer, why would He have provided for me? "...But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt...". Deep in my heart I knew I needed to submit to God, but I let my mind take over the battles of my heart. If only I would have been aware of these verses prior to all these trials, right? 

This is why I want you to be aware-and remember-even if you dedicate your life genuinely and wholeheartedly to God-we will ALL face trials and defeat .It's not going to be a smooth, freshly-paved road the entire ride. It will be filled with potholes, speed-bumps, cracks, roadblocks, and detours. We will all face this-there is no escaping the inevitable. It's the way that we RESPOND to these hazards- that builds perseverance and our trust in God. If we had not trials to face, why would we need to trust in God? 

My friends...joing me in this journey. You will be amazed by where God can lead you...when you die to self, take up your cross daily, and develop a genuine relationship with our LORD. Stand up to the ways of the world. Join me, brothers and sisters in Christ. This is the battle of all battles; the war of all wars. This is the battle for our LORD...for our eternal life.

                                                                                                    Sincerely With God,
                                                                                                           Jordan Piper
                                                                                                              6/13/2012
                    

No comments:

Post a Comment